He was born in 1913 in Vilnius, died in 1987 in Warsaw. He studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw under professors Tadeusz Pruszkowski’s and Wojciech Jastrzębski’s direction (1934-39). He was the co-founder of Warsaw 55 Group and the Crooked Circle Gallery. At the end of 1950s he took up abstraction and experiments leading to the ascetic conceptions of “empty paintings”. In 1998 he had a posthumous exhibition at Zachęta.